Science is everywhere at LBIF! Our winter residents enjoy Science Saturday lectures while our summer visitors and residents come to LBIF on Fridays to Discovery Days to learn about our salt marsh, beehives, turtle nesting gardens and all of the exciting things happen on our property. Marine Biology is offered at our summer camp and Barnegat Bay Day in early July provides knowledge and fun for the entire family. Scroll down to learn more about our science based initiatives at LBIF.
EXPLORE LONG BEACH ISLAND – Guided Eco-Tours & Field Trips
Reservations available any day, but must be made 24 hours in advance. Fee deposit is not refundable – call 609-494-1241 to reserve your tour! Available: June-August. Fee: $40 for either type of program reservation, plus $10/person (Children under 10 free).
- Guided Tours of Barrier Island Habitat at LBIF – Individuals and families of all ages are invited to the LBIF to explore the birds and the bees, the flowers and the trees that comprise the unique barrier island ecosystem – the bay, the upland, the salt marsh and the beach. You will be led by a fun and friendly guide. There is no group size or age requirement. Tours are approximately 2 hours long.
- LBI Eco-Field Trips – Learn about the hidden secrets of the different parts of LBI from Barnegat Light to Holgate. A knowledgeable guide will provide an overview and then accompany you to several different locations. Tours are approximately 2 hours long.
LBIF Marsh Cam
We love our salt marsh so much that we installed a camera that broadcasts the live view of this very important ecosystem on Long Beach Island!
LBIF Rain Garden
The rain garden at LBIF is a functioning demonstration site to showcase landscaping possibilities that open up the soil and allow rain water to seep back into the ground and reduce runoff into the Barnegat Bay.
The diversity of textures and colors of the plants and flowers are aesthetically pleasing, and it’s a great place to cool off on a hot day and be inspired by nature. There are benches within the garden for people passing by to stop, relax, and cool off while enjoying the view.
Barnegat Bay Day
Join the LBIF and other local environmental organizations and agencies at the annual B. Bay Day (during the first week of July). Learn about the local plants and animals, both underwater and on land, that complete the Barnegat Bay ecosystem. Have a blast with hands-on activities and guided tours of our Nature Trail.
Science Saturday at the LBIF tackles today’s most pressing scientific, environmental, and sustainability issues that directly affect our shore community and the Barnegat Bay. Science Saturdays are interactive and informative hands-on presentations in an informal atmosphere. Fee: $5, Free to LBIF Members.
Summer Only Event! Will begin in June 2018.
Each Discovery Friday you will be given a guided tour of LBIF’s protected 21 acre salted marsh preserve via the new Nature Trail. You will also get to get the opportunity to learn more about our rain garden, bee hives, osprey viewing blind and more. On the guided tour stop by meet local field experts from ReClam the Bay, Long Beach Township, MATES, and Uriah Creek Apiaries.
Explore & Learn About Long Beach Island
Did you know that there are over 650 pairs of nesting ospreys in New Jersey, but only 4 nests are located on LBI? Want to learn more about our coast? Check out the links below to discover more information developed by LBIF’s own Science Committee.
- A Dynamic System ~ Long Beach Island. As a barrier island, LBI is dynamic—it is always changing. Learn how storms and the nature of the sea have shaped this barrier island
- Get to Know LBI – History, Ecology, What you can do to help.
- Explore our Nature Trail! Learn about the ecology of LBI first hand with a guided tour of our 22 acre preserve, including the bay shore, marsh and thicket (the island is alive all year long!)
- LBI Neighbors ~ An Online Field Guide – Coming soon!